- Conservatives - 36.3% of the popular vote: 113 seats (not 124)
- Liberals - 30.1% of the popular vote: 93 seats (not 103)
- NDP - 17.5% of the popular vote: 59 seats (not 29)
- Bloc - 10.5% of the popular vote: 31 seats (not 51)
- Greens - 4.5% of the popular vote: 12 seats (not 0)
However, Smith emphasized that speculation should be tempered. "With a different voting system, people would have voted differently," he said. "There would have been no need for strategic voting. We would likely have seen higher voter turnout. We would have had different candidates - more women, and more diversity of all kinds. We would have had more real choices."
"The voting system really matters a lot and the system we have is simply not acceptable in a modern democracy." "