Pillaged from Bond Papers
Confirmed Canadian H1N1 influenza A cases now stand at 34.
Swine flu deaths worldwide - 13.
Deaths from other flu variants worldwide - 250,000 to 500,000 per year.
Update : WHO doesn't want us calling it swine flu anymore.
Rick Arnold of Common Frontiers suggests NAFTA flu would be more accurate.
Laura Carlsen at the America Program, Center for International Policy, provides the reasons :
- a rapid transition from small livestock production to industrial meat farms after NAFTA established incentives for foreign investment,
- the failed decentralization of Mexico's health system along lines established by multilateral lending banks,
- lax and non-enforced environmental and health regulations as the Mexican government was forced to downsize,
- the increased flow of goods and persons across borders, and
- restricted access to life-saving medicines due to NAFTA intellectual property monopolies for pharmaceutical companies.