Friday, March 27, 2009

Canada throws up yet another roadblock to Abdelrazik

"A Montreal man stranded in Sudan must get himself removed from a United Nations blacklist before he can return to Canada, Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon said Friday."


Background :

  • Canada has Abdelrazik detained - and tortured, he says - in Sudan in 2003.
  • Sudan releases him but not before his passport expires and his name is added to the UN Security Council's list of terrorist suspects.
  • Destitute, he moves into the weight room of the Canadian embassy in Sudan.
  • His family in Montreal send money for a ticket but Canada refuses to issue a temporary passport.
  • In December 2008 Ottawa says he could be given a temporary passport - after he books a flight home.
  • He books one; they withdraw the offer.
  • Ottawa then says he must first have a fully paid ticket but in February his lawyer says anyone contributing to it can be charged with aiding a possible terrorist.
  • Nonetheless in March 170 Canadians including Stephen Lewis and a former solicitor general of Ontario buy him a ticket home.
And now this.

The RCMP has cleared him. CSIS has gone so far as to ask for an internal probe to clear itself of allegations made in secret Foreign Affairs department documents.

So what's the fucking hold-up? Apparently The Security of North America

Canada feared U.S. backlash over man trapped in Sudan
Senior Canadian intelligence officials warned against allowing Abousfian Abdelrazik, a Canadian citizen, to return home from Sudan because it could upset the Bush administration, classified documents reveal.

"Senior government of Canada officials should be mindful of the potential reaction of our U.S. counterparts to Abdelrazik's return to Canada as he is on the U.S. no-fly list," intelligence officials say in documents in the possession of The Globe and Mail.

"Continued co-operation between Canada and the U.S. in the matters of security is essential. We will need to continue to work closely on issues related to the Security of North America, including the case of Mr. Abdelrazik," the document says.

The Abdelrazik documents - prepared by senior intelligence and security officials in Transport Canada, the unit that creates and maintains Canada's own version of the terrorist "no-fly" list - make clear that it was the U.S. list that kept Mr. Abdelrazik from returning to Canada when he was released from prison three years ago. "

This has nothing to do with the security of Canada, much less the Security of North America, unless - like this government - you count sacrificing a Canadian citizen and the sovereignty of Canada to be worth the price of keeping those trucks flowing back and forth across the border without any accompanying U.S. frowny faces.

Update : What Dawg said.

Chris wrote to his MP asking what assurances he has that as an international traveller the government will protect him. You can do the same.

To contact Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon directly :

Telephone: (613) 992-5516 Fax: (613) 992-6802 EMail: .



Anonymous said...

Fucking liars.
This is exactly like Arar, right down to the feuding between different gov departments like Foreign Affairs and CSIS.


Chris said...

This is too much. My own post, with a letter to our MP:

Blog Archive