Dear CBC :
About that Environics poll that you state was "conducted in partnership with the CBC", the one all over CBC TV News tonight, the CBC website, CTV, the G&M, etc :
CBC : 51% of Afghans feeling good about country's direction
60 % of Afghans surveyed believe the presence of foreign troops has been good for their country.
43% say that foreign troops should stay as long as it takes to get the job done.
60 % in Kandahar have a somewhat or very positive attitude toward Canada's soldiers.
70% of Afghans surveyed said they think Karzai is doing a good job.
77% of Afghans in Kandahar said Karzai is doing a good job.
In fact the poll was conducted by ACSOR–Surveys, the Afghan Center for Social and Opinion Research, founded by D3 Systems Int., whose client base include US State Department, the US Embassy in Kabul, the Afghan Reconstruction Group, Voice of America, (PIPA) the Program on International Policy Attitudes.....
A previous PIPA poll conducted by the Afghan Center for Social and Opinion Research in November 2005 found :
80% of Afghans believe their country is going "in the right direction"
83 % of Afghan respondents said they had a favorable opinion of U.S. troops in Afghanistan
81 % expressed a favorable opinion of the United States
83% said they had a favorable (39 percent "very favorable") view of "the U.S. military forces in our country."
75% approved of eradication of opium poppy fields
90% had an unfavorable opinion of the Taliban
and so on....
This ACSOR poll was extensively used in the US media to bolster support for the war.
Just like their new one will be used here.
Peter Mackay outside the HoC today: "Afghans are now able to take part in democratic processes like polling, and I think that's another brick in the wall as far as building the [needed] security."
Another brick in the wall, indeed. Unusual use of that Pink Floyd metaphor, Pete.
Now even if you do not subscribe, as I do, to the notion that this "CBC/Enviromics partnership" poll is just another piece of bullshit brick-in-the-wall warmongering being spun by yet another US research company, this time with our CBC as a willing patsy, you have to admit that comparing the most recent ACSOR survey with their 2005 one shows Afghan opinion and support for foreign troops is actually plummetting :
2007 : 51% believe the country is going in the right direction
2006 : 80% believe the country is going in the right direction
2007 : 60% support foreign troops and Canadian soldiers
2006 : 80% support American troops
So, CBC, what have you got to say for yourself?
Research jointly conducted in the threads of Bread and Roses
Update : The CBC/G&M/La Presse Survey at Environics
- ► 2016 (68)
- ► 2015 (78)
- ► 2014 (129)
- ► 2013 (138)
- ► 2012 (58)
- ► 2011 (142)
- ► 2010 (279)
- ► 2009 (343)
- ► 2008 (356)
- Scotty, we need more power!
- Everything was going just swimmingly until...
- Portraits of America
- Hillier's ten years
- There were tens of us...
- Steve and Sandra - I am so the boss of you
- Harper chooses gay superhero to be new symbol of C...
- $1400 a day?! ....Each?
- Malalai Joya to speak at Vancouver rally
- This is your brain on government...
- CBC's strange bedfellows
- Peace, pot, and the pettifogging Cons
- Get your war off
- Speech from the Throne : Flush!
- Cons still tanking in BC
- Steve and Sandra and the Throne Speech
- SPP : Is it pining for the fjords?
- What was our safe word, again?
- Harper's Afghan panel - a bunch of hawks and deep ...
- Ontario votes No
- SPP and the EPA
- Hey, Libs, what is it you stand for again?
- Channeling JFK with "little cakes for you"
- MMP and the MSM
- Steve and Sandra Get It Right, Alberta!
- About that "one NA security perimeter" thing...
- The reign of Steyn falls mainly on the plain
- Alberta : Treading water at a fire sale
- Look, it's not as if you're being asked to stand o...
- Why Canada has no mandatory GHG caps
- SPP : Nukes and kitty litter
- ▼ October (33)
- ► 2006 (286)
- 404 System Error
- A Creative Revolution
- Accidental Deliberations
- Another Voice
- April Reign
- Back of the Book
- Big City Lib
- Birth Pangs
- Blogging Change
- Bowen Island Journal
- Bread and Roses
- CREEKSIDE - THE SPP POSTS
- Canadian Cynic
- Canadian Progressive Voices
- Challenging the Commonplace
- Council of Canadians
- Cracked Crystal Ball
- Crawl Across the Ocean
- DAMMIT JANET!
- Dawg's Blawg
- De Koboldorum Rebus
- Dymaxion World
- Harper Valley
- Just Another Willy Loman
- Laila Yuile
- Leftist Jab
- Let Freedom Rain
- Liberal Catnip
- Mirabile Dictu
- Montreal Simon
- Moved to Vancouver
- Murray Dobbin
- Northern Insights
- Of Gods & Other Monsters
- Open Parliament
- Orwell's Bastard
- Paying Attention
- Politics 'n Poetry
- Public Eye Online
- Pushed to the Left and Loving It
- Q at North of Center
- Red Tory
- Resettle THIS!
- Rose's Place
- Runesmith's Canadian Content
- Rusty Idols
- Steve & Sandra Toons
- Terrible Depths
- The Black Ewe
- The Dominion
- The Galloping Beaver
- The Gazetteer
- The Regina Mom
- The Sixth Estate
- The Tyee
- The Woodshed
- They Call Me "Mr. Sinister"
- Thinking Aboot
- Thwap's Schoolyard
- Trapped in a Whirlpool
- Unrepentant Old Hippie
- Youngfox Canada
- hairy fish nuts