Dr Dawg relates that Gerry Chipeur "the Alberta lawyer who drafted a power-sharing proposal between Stockwell Day, Gilles Duceppe and Joe Clark in 2000 is now suggesting that the Conservatives should defy the Governor-General if she were to ask the Liberal-NDP coalition to form a new government if the Conservative administration falls on January 27."
CanWest : "Chipeur's argument foreshadows a possibly drastic response from the Conservatives should they be turfed from power. He suggests that Conservatives may not readily accept the governor-general's decision should she refuse the prime minister's request for an election."
Chipeur, an anti-SSM ReformaTory Alliance lawyer and activist with ties to Republicans and the evangelical and anti-Kyoto movements on both sides of the border, is laying groundwork for the Cons again here, something he excells at.
New York Observer : (bracketed info mine)
"From: Paul Weyrich[co-founder of the Moral Majority and the Heritage Foundation]
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 9:38 AM
To: Bob Thompson[a staffer at Weyrich’s Free Congress Foundation]
Subject: Message from Canada
Please get this message to the Stanton, Family Forum and Wednesday lunch groups:
I received a call last night from Gerald Chipeur, an important figure in Canada’s Conservative Party. He told me that Conservatives are with-in striking distance of electing an outright majority in Parliamentary elections Monday.
He said the Canadian media, which is trying to save the current Liberal government, has a strategy of calling conservatives in the USA in the hopes that someone will inadvertently say something that can be hung around the Conservatives.
Canadian voters have been led to believe that American conservatives are scary and if the Conservative party can be linked with us, they perhaps can diminish a Conservative victory. Chipeur asks that if Canadian media calls, please do not be interviewed until Monday evening at which point hopefully there will be reason to celebrate.
When contacted by Canadian Press about the email, Weyrich denied any personal involvement but later on his website, he bragged about his "small victory" in the Canadian elections.
This August, Chipeur, a dual Canada-US citizen, teamed up with the American Chamber of Commerce to hold a $1000-a-plate fund-raising campaign for John McCain for the 80,000 Americans who live and work in Calgary. Canadian citizens' proceeds went to Friends of Science, Tim Ball's oil industry-funded anti-Kyoto "charity", whose funding was laundered through the University of Calgary by Harper's buddy, Prof. Barry Cooper, before the U of C put a stop to it.
Friends of Science used the money to pay for ads which attacked the previous Liberal government's support for the Kyoto Protocol, pledging "to have a major impact on the next election." Chipeur acted as their lawyer in the investigation by Elections Canada.
Chipeur is also credited with introducing Republican Frank Sensenbrenner to Canadian embassy officials at the Republican National Convention in New York in 2004, attended by Stockwell Day, Chipeur's choice for coalition PM in 2000. Sensenbrenner had attended Reform party conventions and Stockwell Day insisted he be hired by the Canadian Embassy. Sensenbrenner was subsequently accused of the Naftagate leak. to damage Barack Obama's credibility during the Democratic primaries but an internal investigation by Harper's deputy minister failed to provide conclusive evidence.
The Star : "In failing to plumb the leak, the report effectively protects the ruling party from awkward questions. With an election not far in the future, voters might reasonably ask if Conservatives put this country's seminal relationship [with Obama] at risk to give Republicans a helping hand."
The RepubliCons - just one big happy family.
- ► 2012 (58)
- ► 2011 (142)
- ► 2010 (279)
- ► 2009 (343)
- Would somebody like to sing "Do They Know It's Chr...
- Steve to Bruinooge : STFU
- Con MP inexplicably goes on and on about auctionin...
- "SPP : Kill it, recast it, or rebrand it"
- Best of the merry happy jolly
- And the little kid gets to keep his pony
- Six mil poly
- In a perfect world
- Steve's Big Stocking Stuffer Senate "Reform"
- Harper's CTV Christmas Special
- "Here's how we fix Canada's political mess"
- Man of Steel vs. the Incredible Shrinking Mandate
- Hello, soldier!
- "It's still Canada"
- It's Time To Go Right Off the Deep End.ca
- Dziekanski's death his own fault apparently
- Budget 2009 : Open door policy!
- No charges for RCMP who killed Dziekanski
- News, propaganda, psy ops - whatever
- Rumours of the coalition
- A coronation if necessary but not necessarily a co...
- Another great RepubliCon idea
- Olympic Athletes Village, developing...
- Manley : Screw the coalition - go straight for col...
- Dear leaders of the coalition : Obama-size now
- To the coalition : Keep Meeting
- Steve pulls the fire alarm and walks into the exam...
- Prorogue just means recess
- HarperCons : Well, it's different when we do it
- The separatists are coming! The separatists are co...
- All the news that fits the spin
- Reality vs Steve ... and Chuck and Jim too apparen...
- A Canadian coalition
- Emma the Embryo and Steve's FU fans
- Dear Con talk show shlocktroops
- ▼ December (36)
- ► 2007 (317)
- ► 2006 (286)
- Canadian Progressive Voices
- 404 System Error
- A Creative Revolution
- Accidental Deliberations
- Another Voice
- April Reign
- Back of the Book
- Big City Lib
- Birth Pangs
- Blogging Change
- Bowen Island Journal
- Bread and Roses
- Canadian Cynic
- Challenging the Commonplace
- Council of Canadians
- Cracked Crystal Ball
- Crawl Across the Ocean
- CREEKSIDE - THE SPP POSTS
- DAMMIT JANET!
- Dawg's Blawg
- De Koboldorum Rebus
- Dymaxion World
- hairy fish nuts
- Harper Valley
- Just Another Willy Loman
- Laila Yuile
- Leftist Jab
- Let Freedom Rain
- Liberal Catnip
- Mirabile Dictu
- Montreal Simon
- Moved to Vancouver
- Murray Dobbin
- Northern Insights
- Of Gods & Other Monsters
- Open Parliament
- Orwell's Bastard
- Paying Attention
- Politics 'n Poetry
- Public Eye Online
- Pushed to the Left and Loving It
- Q at North of Center
- Red Tory
- Resettle THIS!
- Rose's Place
- Runesmith's Canadian Content
- Rusty Idols
- Steve & Sandra Toons
- Terrible Depths
- The Black Ewe
- The Dominion
- The Galloping Beaver
- The Gazetteer
- The Regina Mom
- The Sixth Estate
- The Tyee
- The Woodshed
- They Call Me "Mr. Sinister"
- Thinking Aboot
- Thwap's Schoolyard
- Trapped in a Whirlpool
- Unrepentant Old Hippie
- Youngfox Canada