From my notes off CPAC coverage of Iggy’s Don't-fuck-with-me debut as the Liberal leader today :
"I am prepared to vote non-confidence in this government. And I am prepared to enter into a coalition government with our partners if that is what the Governor-General asks me to do. But I also made it clear to the caucus this morning that no party can have the confidence of the country if it decides to vote now against a budget it hasn't even read."
Kady live-blogging the same event : "This is kind of interesting - we the media don’t seem to know what to make of this. It’s going to be tough to spin this into another “coalition is dead” story, but I bet we’ll manage to do it somehow. We’re professionals."
Heh. Good one, Kady.
Well, they certainly tried. In his questions to Iggy afterwards, Corporate Television Vehicle's™ Craig Oliver was obviously astounded that Iggy hadn't yet dumped what he referred to as "The Three Muskateers", but then later reported that Harper, in a clear case of flop sweat, was planning to appoint 18 Con senators to the Senate before Christmas. Now why would Steve do that after campaigning for an end to an unelected senate?
Do I like Iggy? No, not much. Is he capable of outflanking Harper? Yes. Do I think he would dump the coalition in a heartbeat if he didn't need it? Yup. Is the coalition still viable? Yes. Will it be accompanied by ponies and rainbows? Nope.
This coalition idea is going to take time to appeal to a public more familiar with our unofficial ConservaLiberal corporate coalition and its media mouthpieces and there will be setbacks.
So don't be sending your rainbow ponies off into battle and then mourning their imaginary deaths.
Write a letter to your MP, sign a petition, call an openline show, talk to your neighbours.
Fight back. It's your coalition.
Update : Thwap's Schoolyard :
What part of "majority rule" do you not get?
Expanded version on coalition-bashing via media monopoly at The Galloping Beaver.
- ► 2012 (58)
- ► 2011 (142)
- ► 2010 (279)
- ► 2009 (343)
- Would somebody like to sing "Do They Know It's Chr...
- Steve to Bruinooge : STFU
- Con MP inexplicably goes on and on about auctionin...
- "SPP : Kill it, recast it, or rebrand it"
- Best of the merry happy jolly
- And the little kid gets to keep his pony
- Six mil poly
- In a perfect world
- Steve's Big Stocking Stuffer Senate "Reform"
- Harper's CTV Christmas Special
- "Here's how we fix Canada's political mess"
- Man of Steel vs. the Incredible Shrinking Mandate
- Hello, soldier!
- "It's still Canada"
- It's Time To Go Right Off the Deep End.ca
- Dziekanski's death his own fault apparently
- Budget 2009 : Open door policy!
- No charges for RCMP who killed Dziekanski
- News, propaganda, psy ops - whatever
- Rumours of the coalition
- A coronation if necessary but not necessarily a co...
- Another great RepubliCon idea
- Olympic Athletes Village, developing...
- Manley : Screw the coalition - go straight for col...
- Dear leaders of the coalition : Obama-size now
- To the coalition : Keep Meeting
- Steve pulls the fire alarm and walks into the exam...
- Prorogue just means recess
- HarperCons : Well, it's different when we do it
- The separatists are coming! The separatists are co...
- All the news that fits the spin
- Reality vs Steve ... and Chuck and Jim too apparen...
- A Canadian coalition
- Emma the Embryo and Steve's FU fans
- Dear Con talk show shlocktroops
- ▼ December (36)
- ► 2007 (317)
- ► 2006 (286)
- Canadian Progressive Voices
- 404 System Error
- A Creative Revolution
- Accidental Deliberations
- Another Voice
- April Reign
- Back of the Book
- Big City Lib
- Birth Pangs
- Blogging Change
- Bowen Island Journal
- Bread and Roses
- Canadian Cynic
- Challenging the Commonplace
- Council of Canadians
- Cracked Crystal Ball
- Crawl Across the Ocean
- CREEKSIDE - THE SPP POSTS
- DAMMIT JANET!
- Dawg's Blawg
- De Koboldorum Rebus
- Dymaxion World
- hairy fish nuts
- Harper Valley
- Just Another Willy Loman
- Laila Yuile
- Leftist Jab
- Let Freedom Rain
- Liberal Catnip
- Mirabile Dictu
- Montreal Simon
- Moved to Vancouver
- Murray Dobbin
- Northern Insights
- Of Gods & Other Monsters
- Open Parliament
- Orwell's Bastard
- Paying Attention
- Politics 'n Poetry
- Public Eye Online
- Pushed to the Left and Loving It
- Q at North of Center
- Red Tory
- Resettle THIS!
- Rose's Place
- Runesmith's Canadian Content
- Rusty Idols
- Steve & Sandra Toons
- Terrible Depths
- The Black Ewe
- The Dominion
- The Galloping Beaver
- The Gazetteer
- The Regina Mom
- The Sixth Estate
- The Tyee
- The Woodshed
- They Call Me "Mr. Sinister"
- Thinking Aboot
- Thwap's Schoolyard
- Trapped in a Whirlpool
- Unrepentant Old Hippie
- Youngfox Canada