is an article by Preston Manning in today's G&M, in which he advises dissolving the coalition and preparing for "the next election" to "give Canada the broadly supported majority government it needs in times like these."
But first, let's review some quotes from a book Preston wrote with Mike Harris last year, published by the Fraser Institute and "guided" by the Montreal Economic Institute, with help from Michael Hart, member of the Task Force on the Future of North America. You can read the whole thing yourself online :
International Leadership by a Canada Strong and Free :
~ Deepening integration with the US economy must be on the agenda as the best way for Canadians to increase our trade, prosperity, and leadership potential.
~For Canada, Mexico’s presence at the NAFTA table is no reason to avoid action on our urgent national interest in pursuing a formal structure to manage irreversible economic and security integration with the United States.
~The 2005 Security and Prosperity Initiative adopted by Prime Minister Martin and President Bush and confirmed by the Harper government a year later laid a promising foundation. Both governments now receive regular status reports on its implementation. The earlier Smart Border Accord gave security and access to the United States a higher priority than before September 11. Both, however, operate within existing laws and policies and are therefore limited in scope. Extracting the full benefit of deeper integration requires a more ambitious initiative.
~ The federal government should revisit the decision not to participate in the Ballistic Missile Defence program
~The central importance of good US-Canada relations to Canada’s interests across virtually every domestic and international issue requires that the federal government make that relationship its highest international priority.
~ In order to facilitate the integrated coordination of their two economies, the two governments need to create a customs union involving a common external tariff, a joint approach to the treatment of third-country goods, a fully integrated energy market, a common approach to trade remedies, and an integrated government procurement regime.
~Government has no place in the decision-making of Canadian consumers, importers, or exporters.
~If Canadians wish to contribute to global peace and security they can only do so effectively as partners with the United States.
~There is much to be said for Canada and the United States developing a North American energy security accord that looks at the best way to develop and distribute the continent’s resources to the benefit of people on both sides of the border.
Thanks, Presto, for coming out for Steve like this. I'm sure he appreciates your continued support in today's G&M.
"International Leadership by a Canada Strong and Free"
Available at Chapters.Indigo.ca for just $19.95!
- ► 2013 (138)
- ► 2012 (58)
- ► 2011 (142)
- ► 2010 (279)
- ► 2009 (343)
- Would somebody like to sing "Do They Know It's Chr...
- Steve to Bruinooge : STFU
- Con MP inexplicably goes on and on about auctionin...
- "SPP : Kill it, recast it, or rebrand it"
- Best of the merry happy jolly
- And the little kid gets to keep his pony
- Six mil poly
- In a perfect world
- Steve's Big Stocking Stuffer Senate "Reform"
- Harper's CTV Christmas Special
- "Here's how we fix Canada's political mess"
- Man of Steel vs. the Incredible Shrinking Mandate
- Hello, soldier!
- "It's still Canada"
- It's Time To Go Right Off the Deep End.ca
- Dziekanski's death his own fault apparently
- Budget 2009 : Open door policy!
- No charges for RCMP who killed Dziekanski
- News, propaganda, psy ops - whatever
- Rumours of the coalition
- A coronation if necessary but not necessarily a co...
- Another great RepubliCon idea
- Olympic Athletes Village, developing...
- Manley : Screw the coalition - go straight for col...
- Dear leaders of the coalition : Obama-size now
- To the coalition : Keep Meeting
- Steve pulls the fire alarm and walks into the exam...
- Prorogue just means recess
- HarperCons : Well, it's different when we do it
- The separatists are coming! The separatists are co...
- All the news that fits the spin
- Reality vs Steve ... and Chuck and Jim too apparen...
- A Canadian coalition
- Emma the Embryo and Steve's FU fans
- Dear Con talk show shlocktroops
- ▼ December (36)
- ► 2007 (317)
- ► 2006 (286)
- Canadian Progressive Voices
- 404 System Error
- A Creative Revolution
- Accidental Deliberations
- Another Voice
- April Reign
- Back of the Book
- Big City Lib
- Birth Pangs
- Blogging Change
- Bowen Island Journal
- Bread and Roses
- Canadian Cynic
- Challenging the Commonplace
- Council of Canadians
- Cracked Crystal Ball
- Crawl Across the Ocean
- CREEKSIDE - THE SPP POSTS
- DAMMIT JANET!
- Dawg's Blawg
- De Koboldorum Rebus
- Dymaxion World
- hairy fish nuts
- Harper Valley
- Just Another Willy Loman
- Laila Yuile
- Leftist Jab
- Let Freedom Rain
- Liberal Catnip
- Mirabile Dictu
- Montreal Simon
- Moved to Vancouver
- Murray Dobbin
- Northern Insights
- Of Gods & Other Monsters
- Open Parliament
- Orwell's Bastard
- Paying Attention
- Politics 'n Poetry
- Public Eye Online
- Pushed to the Left and Loving It
- Q at North of Center
- Red Tory
- Resettle THIS!
- Rose's Place
- Runesmith's Canadian Content
- Rusty Idols
- Steve & Sandra Toons
- Terrible Depths
- The Black Ewe
- The Dominion
- The Galloping Beaver
- The Gazetteer
- The Regina Mom
- The Sixth Estate
- The Tyee
- The Woodshed
- They Call Me "Mr. Sinister"
- Thinking Aboot
- Thwap's Schoolyard
- Trapped in a Whirlpool
- Unrepentant Old Hippie
- Youngfox Canada