"Prime Minister Stephen Harper yesterday abandoned his $3.5-million libel lawsuit against the Liberal Party over allegations that he knew of Conservative efforts to bribe a dying MP in 2005.
The move was in direct contradiction with Mr. Harper's past vows to take the matter to a total victory in front of a judge.
"The truth is that this will prove to be in court the biggest mistake the leader of the Liberal Party has ever made," Mr. Harper said last March, speaking about Stéphane Dion.
The matter was settled, without an apology or a trial, and with all sides refusing to comment."
~ Globe and Mail, Feb 7, 2009
"Stéphane Dion and Stephen Harper are effectively functioning as leaders of the same political party, under the cover of apparent faked displays of "disagreements" in front of colluding affiliate corporate media organizations. These public displays, are designed to lull rank and file party members, and dupe Canadians into believing otherwise.
This strategy includes the defamation claim media spectacle about Chuck Cadman that was launched by Stephen Harper against Stéphane Dion.
Learned legal experts agree that this litigation claim will never see the light of day in a Canadian courtroom."
~ Yvette Lafleur, Global Research, April 2, 2008.
Well, you certainly called it, Yvette
In September Harper had the case postponed till after the October election.
In October the Cons' own former FBI expert testified the Zytaruk tape was not doctored as Harper had alleged under cross-examination.
In November the lead Conservative lawyer quit the case.
In a joint statement yesterday, the Liberal Party and the Conservatives said the matter was dropped and that no other comments would be made.
Now which of you is going to be the first to apologize to Tom Zytaruk?
- ► 2016 (57)
- ► 2015 (78)
- ► 2014 (129)
- ► 2013 (138)
- ► 2012 (58)
- ► 2011 (142)
- ► 2010 (279)
- Petey "Airshow" MacKay, um, scrambles
- Viva Palestina! People without borders.
- MP George Galloway - Viva Palestina!
- Braidwood Inquiry : Dziekanski compliant after all...
- Braidwood Inquiry : A second RCMP officer recants
- Circling the wagons for TASER™
- Help Abdelrazik get a ticket home
- Braidwood Inquiry : First RCMP testimony today
- Ottawa continues to fuck Abdelrazik over
- National Geographic does the tar sands
- The Afghan Trap
- North America Next
- President Obama visits
- Hats off to BC Mary at The Legislature Raids
- Tin foil - not just for hats anymore
- Geography has made us neighbours ...
- Dziekanski may have shot staples
- Happy Darwin Day !
- The Amway, Blackwater, Focus on the Family Tree
- Binational poll on NAFTA and energy policy
- Chomsky : Understanding the Crisis
- Just another business expense
- Yes, why don't we say the Pledge of Allegiance in ...
- Afghanistan : Winning hearts, minds, and stomachs
- Paul Manly : "You, Me and the SPP"
- Film Etiquette : "Giving the finger" now officiall...
- Friday night news dump : ConservaLiberals drop Cad...
- Over 75% of infrastructure funds went to Con ridin...
- Update : 14-year-old girl zapped in cell for picki...
- Privatizing Hydro-Québec
- 14-year-old girl zapped in cell for peeling paint ...
- Rory Stewart on Afghanistan
- ▼ February (32)
- ► 2008 (356)
- ► 2007 (317)
- ► 2006 (286)
- 404 System Error
- A Creative Revolution
- Accidental Deliberations
- Another Voice
- April Reign
- Back of the Book
- Big City Lib
- Birth Pangs
- Blogging Change
- Bowen Island Journal
- Bread and Roses
- CREEKSIDE - THE SPP POSTS
- Canadian Cynic
- Canadian Progressive Voices
- Challenging the Commonplace
- Council of Canadians
- Cracked Crystal Ball
- Crawl Across the Ocean
- DAMMIT JANET!
- Dawg's Blawg
- De Koboldorum Rebus
- Dymaxion World
- Harper Valley
- Just Another Willy Loman
- Laila Yuile
- Leftist Jab
- Let Freedom Rain
- Liberal Catnip
- Mirabile Dictu
- Montreal Simon
- Moved to Vancouver
- Murray Dobbin
- Northern Insights
- Of Gods & Other Monsters
- Open Parliament
- Orwell's Bastard
- Paying Attention
- Politics 'n Poetry
- Public Eye Online
- Pushed to the Left and Loving It
- Q at North of Center
- Red Tory
- Resettle THIS!
- Rose's Place
- Runesmith's Canadian Content
- Rusty Idols
- Steve & Sandra Toons
- Terrible Depths
- The Black Ewe
- The Dominion
- The Galloping Beaver
- The Gazetteer
- The Regina Mom
- The Sixth Estate
- The Tyee
- The Woodshed
- They Call Me "Mr. Sinister"
- Thinking Aboot
- Thwap's Schoolyard
- Trapped in a Whirlpool
- Unrepentant Old Hippie
- Youngfox Canada
- hairy fish nuts