Hydro-Québec is a crown corporation and the largest producer of hydro-electric power in the world. Worth $130B, its revenue in 2007 was over $12B, of which $2B went as a dividend to Quebec City. It provides Québec with the world's cheapest hydro rates.
The Montreal Economic Institute is a neoliberal think tank devoted to disbanding the wheat board and privatizing water, healthcare, and now apparently Hydro-Québec.
Yesterday the MEI released its report plumping for the privatization of Hydro-Québec.
Author Claude Garcia explained that while privatization would mean higher rates for Quebec consumers, they would gain the advantage of choosing their service provider and could be given shares in the new company. And why not sell power at 9.6 cents per kilowatt-hour to energy-thirsty consumers in Boston or New York, rather than at the current rate of 3 cents charged to Quebec's aluminum smelters?
Here's how that report was dutifully replayed in the media yesterday :
G&M : Report calls for sale of Hydro- Québec
"Hydro-Québec is racked by wretched inefficiency and would be better off to Quebec being privatized according to a new study commissioned by the Montreal Economic Institute."
CTV : Hydro-Quebec would be more effective if privatized, study finds
"A new study suggests Hydro-Quebec is racked by inefficiency and would be more valuable to the province if it were privatized."
CJAD : Sell off Hydro-Quebec, make an extra 10 billion a year. .
Bloomberg : Quebec Should Sell Hydro-Quebec, Globe Says, Citing Study .
Trading Markets : Privatizing Hydro-Québec would give $10 billion more a year to Quebecers .
Montreal Gazette : Our cheap power comes at a price .
OK, help me out here. If selling excess energy to the US is the goal, why not do it while retaining Hydro-Québec as a crown corporation for the longterm benefit of Quebec?
Could someone please explain that to me?
- ► 2013 (138)
- ► 2012 (58)
- ► 2011 (142)
- ► 2010 (279)
- Petey "Airshow" MacKay, um, scrambles
- Viva Palestina! People without borders.
- MP George Galloway - Viva Palestina!
- Braidwood Inquiry : Dziekanski compliant after all...
- Braidwood Inquiry : A second RCMP officer recants
- Circling the wagons for TASER™
- Help Abdelrazik get a ticket home
- Braidwood Inquiry : First RCMP testimony today
- Ottawa continues to fuck Abdelrazik over
- National Geographic does the tar sands
- The Afghan Trap
- North America Next
- President Obama visits
- Hats off to BC Mary at The Legislature Raids
- Tin foil - not just for hats anymore
- Geography has made us neighbours ...
- Dziekanski may have shot staples
- Happy Darwin Day !
- The Amway, Blackwater, Focus on the Family Tree
- Binational poll on NAFTA and energy policy
- Chomsky : Understanding the Crisis
- Just another business expense
- Yes, why don't we say the Pledge of Allegiance in ...
- Afghanistan : Winning hearts, minds, and stomachs
- Paul Manly : "You, Me and the SPP"
- Film Etiquette : "Giving the finger" now officiall...
- Friday night news dump : ConservaLiberals drop Cad...
- Over 75% of infrastructure funds went to Con ridin...
- Update : 14-year-old girl zapped in cell for picki...
- Privatizing Hydro-Québec
- 14-year-old girl zapped in cell for peeling paint ...
- Rory Stewart on Afghanistan
- ▼ February (32)
- ► 2008 (356)
- ► 2007 (317)
- ► 2006 (286)
- Canadian Progressive Voices
- 404 System Error
- A Creative Revolution
- Accidental Deliberations
- Another Voice
- April Reign
- Back of the Book
- Big City Lib
- Birth Pangs
- Blogging Change
- Bowen Island Journal
- Bread and Roses
- Canadian Cynic
- Challenging the Commonplace
- Council of Canadians
- Cracked Crystal Ball
- Crawl Across the Ocean
- CREEKSIDE - THE SPP POSTS
- DAMMIT JANET!
- Dawg's Blawg
- De Koboldorum Rebus
- Dymaxion World
- hairy fish nuts
- Harper Valley
- Just Another Willy Loman
- Laila Yuile
- Leftist Jab
- Let Freedom Rain
- Liberal Catnip
- Mirabile Dictu
- Montreal Simon
- Moved to Vancouver
- Murray Dobbin
- Northern Insights
- Of Gods & Other Monsters
- Open Parliament
- Orwell's Bastard
- Paying Attention
- Politics 'n Poetry
- Public Eye Online
- Pushed to the Left and Loving It
- Q at North of Center
- Red Tory
- Resettle THIS!
- Rose's Place
- Runesmith's Canadian Content
- Rusty Idols
- Steve & Sandra Toons
- Terrible Depths
- The Black Ewe
- The Dominion
- The Galloping Beaver
- The Gazetteer
- The Regina Mom
- The Sixth Estate
- The Tyee
- The Woodshed
- They Call Me "Mr. Sinister"
- Thinking Aboot
- Thwap's Schoolyard
- Trapped in a Whirlpool
- Unrepentant Old Hippie
- Youngfox Canada