CTV : "The federal government is repatriating a database of personal information about Canadian citizens after warnings the U.S. government might misuse it.
The database with details about several hundred British Columbians was turned over to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency last year as part of a controversial project to issue "enhanced driver's licences" instead of passports for land-border crossings."
The BC pilot project is the first step in a Canada-wide program that could have seen the personal information of hundreds of thousands of Canadians handed over wholesale to American officials.
But the Canada Border Services Agency has bowed to pressure from privacy advocates and is recalling the database, with the U.S. border agency promising to erase its records.
The CBSA signed an agreement with its American counterpart to ensure that the information would be accessed only by U.S. officers at the time of crossing for border purposes only.
However, the USA Patriot Act could trump that clause, forcing the U.S. border service to turn over information to American security agencies.
Canada’s Privacy Commissioner Jennifer Stoddart sounded the alarm about this over a year ago and also criticized the new enhanced driver's licences as creating a de facto national ID card for both countries.
Homeland Security Michael Chertoff told Canadians they shouldn’t worry about the sharing of biometric information with other governments.
"Your fingerprint's hardly personal data, because you leave it on glasses and silverware and articles all over the world," he said.
As I noted at the time, having a glass of wine in a public restaurant is not at all like having your fingerprints fed into a database like Server in the Sky.
There's also the problem of identity theft.
Watch here as an ethical hacker drives round the block with his $250 homemade tracking device and copies the RFID tags, or radio-frequency identification device, off two passports.
RFIDs are used to track cattle and merchandise.
People with RFID driver's licences are supposed to keep them wrapped in tin foil.
Personally I don't think I'll have any left over.
- ► 2013 (138)
- ► 2012 (58)
- ► 2011 (142)
- ► 2010 (279)
- Petey "Airshow" MacKay, um, scrambles
- Viva Palestina! People without borders.
- MP George Galloway - Viva Palestina!
- Braidwood Inquiry : Dziekanski compliant after all...
- Braidwood Inquiry : A second RCMP officer recants
- Circling the wagons for TASER™
- Help Abdelrazik get a ticket home
- Braidwood Inquiry : First RCMP testimony today
- Ottawa continues to fuck Abdelrazik over
- National Geographic does the tar sands
- The Afghan Trap
- North America Next
- President Obama visits
- Hats off to BC Mary at The Legislature Raids
- Tin foil - not just for hats anymore
- Geography has made us neighbours ...
- Dziekanski may have shot staples
- Happy Darwin Day !
- The Amway, Blackwater, Focus on the Family Tree
- Binational poll on NAFTA and energy policy
- Chomsky : Understanding the Crisis
- Just another business expense
- Yes, why don't we say the Pledge of Allegiance in ...
- Afghanistan : Winning hearts, minds, and stomachs
- Paul Manly : "You, Me and the SPP"
- Film Etiquette : "Giving the finger" now officiall...
- Friday night news dump : ConservaLiberals drop Cad...
- Over 75% of infrastructure funds went to Con ridin...
- Update : 14-year-old girl zapped in cell for picki...
- Privatizing Hydro-Québec
- 14-year-old girl zapped in cell for peeling paint ...
- Rory Stewart on Afghanistan
- ▼ February (32)
- ► 2008 (356)
- ► 2007 (317)
- ► 2006 (286)
- Canadian Progressive Voices
- 404 System Error
- A Creative Revolution
- Accidental Deliberations
- Another Voice
- April Reign
- Back of the Book
- Big City Lib
- Birth Pangs
- Blogging Change
- Bowen Island Journal
- Bread and Roses
- Canadian Cynic
- Challenging the Commonplace
- Council of Canadians
- Cracked Crystal Ball
- Crawl Across the Ocean
- CREEKSIDE - THE SPP POSTS
- DAMMIT JANET!
- Dawg's Blawg
- De Koboldorum Rebus
- Dymaxion World
- hairy fish nuts
- Harper Valley
- Just Another Willy Loman
- Laila Yuile
- Leftist Jab
- Let Freedom Rain
- Liberal Catnip
- Mirabile Dictu
- Montreal Simon
- Moved to Vancouver
- Murray Dobbin
- Northern Insights
- Of Gods & Other Monsters
- Open Parliament
- Orwell's Bastard
- Paying Attention
- Politics 'n Poetry
- Public Eye Online
- Pushed to the Left and Loving It
- Q at North of Center
- Red Tory
- Resettle THIS!
- Rose's Place
- Runesmith's Canadian Content
- Rusty Idols
- Steve & Sandra Toons
- Terrible Depths
- The Black Ewe
- The Dominion
- The Galloping Beaver
- The Gazetteer
- The Regina Mom
- The Sixth Estate
- The Tyee
- The Woodshed
- They Call Me "Mr. Sinister"
- Thinking Aboot
- Thwap's Schoolyard
- Trapped in a Whirlpool
- Unrepentant Old Hippie
- Youngfox Canada