When Stephen Harper suggested on Tuesday that the market sell-off would present an excellent buying opportunity for investors, is this what he was referring to?
Fin. Post : Fed trolls Canada to rescue U.S. banks
"In a desperate bid to help U.S. banks recapitalize, Washington is dropping its inhibitions and reaching out to Canadian financial institutions to gauge their willingness to participate in rescue operations.
The Federal Reserve has activated a back channel that puts the central bank in direct contact with chief executives at Canada's largest banks and insurers, according to a person familiar with the dialogue.
They are approaching "banks with major assets in the U.S. like [Toronto-Dominion Bank] and Royal [Bank of Canada]"
A lobbyist for a Canadian bank said the political climate in Washington had changed markedly since the passage of a $700-billion bailout and that this country is now seen as a potential source of support.
It was not clear how deeply involved Canadian authorities were in the discussions."
G-7 finance ministers are due to meet in Washington this weekend.
In its June 2008 report, Compete to Win, the federal government’s Competition Review Panel recommended scrapping the ban on bank mergers and "harmonizing its expectations with those of the U.S."
h/t Anon in comments
- ► 2014 (107)
- ► 2013 (138)
- ► 2012 (58)
- ► 2011 (142)
- ► 2010 (279)
- ► 2009 (343)
- From Jack-O-Lantern.com
- Justice for Robert Dziekanski Petition
- Cellucci suggests huge aqueducts to carry Canadian...
- Obama win a 'danger' to Canada, Cellucci says
- Push-polling deep integration for General Dynamics...
- Jesus Christ : The Lost Years
- "Stephen Harper's Big Thing"
- And now for something completely predictable...
- Chapter 11 agribiz agro
- Nah, that's too simple. It would never work.
- Iacobucci whitewash into Canadian torture-by-proxy...
- Dion resigns
- An unknown Group 'o Seven painting
- Pipeline saboteurs in the media... and biblical so...
- Shorter Sarkozy
- Green Party guy endorses Gordo ; Gordo endorses Ha...
- The friends of Gary Lunn
- Election "08 - Proportional representation chart
- Election '08 - Canada doesn't vote!
- Election '08 Seat Projections in Vancouver/Lower M...
- Election '08 Final Nanos Projection
- Have you seen the sniggering that changed the elec...
- Elizabeth May's third strategic voting do-over in ...
- Steve and Kory - The tale of the tapes continues.....
- SPP : "We're getting better all the time."
- Canada to rescue U.S. banks?
- Elizabeth May and strategic voting...again
- Bobblehead Steve
- Plan B? What the hell happened to Plan A?
- SPP and Election '08 : From Star Wars to listerios...
- Police TASER™ a runaway sheep
- Toxic toys, now with 700 times more lead
- Strategic voting - all politics is local
- Ken Dryden, what the fuck were you thinking?
- Project Censored 2009
- Election 2008 - the English debate
- Afghanistan and Taliban Steve
- And now, a couple of words from The Economist
- Attack of the Clones - introducing Stephen Harper
- ▼ October (39)
- ► 2007 (317)
- ► 2006 (286)
- Canadian Progressive Voices
- 404 System Error
- A Creative Revolution
- Accidental Deliberations
- Another Voice
- April Reign
- Back of the Book
- Big City Lib
- Birth Pangs
- Blogging Change
- Bowen Island Journal
- Bread and Roses
- Canadian Cynic
- Challenging the Commonplace
- Council of Canadians
- Cracked Crystal Ball
- Crawl Across the Ocean
- CREEKSIDE - THE SPP POSTS
- DAMMIT JANET!
- Dawg's Blawg
- De Koboldorum Rebus
- Dymaxion World
- hairy fish nuts
- Harper Valley
- Just Another Willy Loman
- Laila Yuile
- Leftist Jab
- Let Freedom Rain
- Liberal Catnip
- Mirabile Dictu
- Montreal Simon
- Moved to Vancouver
- Murray Dobbin
- Northern Insights
- Of Gods & Other Monsters
- Open Parliament
- Orwell's Bastard
- Paying Attention
- Politics 'n Poetry
- Public Eye Online
- Pushed to the Left and Loving It
- Q at North of Center
- Red Tory
- Resettle THIS!
- Rose's Place
- Runesmith's Canadian Content
- Rusty Idols
- Steve & Sandra Toons
- Terrible Depths
- The Black Ewe
- The Dominion
- The Galloping Beaver
- The Gazetteer
- The Regina Mom
- The Sixth Estate
- The Tyee
- The Woodshed
- They Call Me "Mr. Sinister"
- Thinking Aboot
- Thwap's Schoolyard
- Trapped in a Whirlpool
- Unrepentant Old Hippie
- Youngfox Canada