"Police zapped a runaway sheep that was blocking traffic with a Taser stun gun, a weapon issued for use in violent situations.
Motorists trapped in the traffic jam caused when the sheep got out of a field in north Wales in Britain were horrified to see the sheep stunned by police then carried to the side of the road where it continued to convulse, the Daily Mail reported"
Unfortunately the article is a little short on details.
Was the sheep carrying a concealed weapon?
Did it have a "pre-existing medical condition"?
Did the sheep ignore police demands to turn around with its hands up?
Last year the Home Office eased restrictions on the use of stun guns so that they could be used "where officers are facing violence or threats of violence of such severity that they would need to use force to protect the public, themselves and or the subjects of their action".
OK, but what if those officers had encountered more than just the one sheep wandering in traffic?
Forbes is pretty excited about a whole new line in sheeple crowd control tech :
"A License To Not Quite Kill"
"If one Taser is a powerful deterrent, imagine six or 18 stacked side-by-side. The Shockwave offers what Taser International calls "Remote Area Denial." When the weapon is fired, six Taser cartridges fire in a 20 degree arc, incapacitating anyone in their path. "
"Use Shockwave defensively to create a perimeter around rioters ... and a mob of unruly individuals can be corralled into a corner. Or fire the device into a crowd, and several targets go down in a temporarily paralyzed heap."
A heap o' sheep!
Seven more new devices include a TASER™ shell that can be fired from a gun; Active Denial System, a heat ray that can make targets feel as if their skin is catching fire; a two-foot diameter laser that can temporarily blind a vehicle's driver; and an electrically-charged riot shield from Stinger that "causes painful shocks and incapacitation".
"Police officers are paid to enforce the law, not to get hurt," says TASER™ spokesman Steve Tuttle. "Police need this."
- ► 2014 (96)
- ► 2013 (138)
- ► 2012 (58)
- ► 2011 (142)
- ► 2010 (279)
- ► 2009 (343)
- From Jack-O-Lantern.com
- Justice for Robert Dziekanski Petition
- Cellucci suggests huge aqueducts to carry Canadian...
- Obama win a 'danger' to Canada, Cellucci says
- Push-polling deep integration for General Dynamics...
- Jesus Christ : The Lost Years
- "Stephen Harper's Big Thing"
- And now for something completely predictable...
- Chapter 11 agribiz agro
- Nah, that's too simple. It would never work.
- Iacobucci whitewash into Canadian torture-by-proxy...
- Dion resigns
- An unknown Group 'o Seven painting
- Pipeline saboteurs in the media... and biblical so...
- Shorter Sarkozy
- Green Party guy endorses Gordo ; Gordo endorses Ha...
- The friends of Gary Lunn
- Election "08 - Proportional representation chart
- Election '08 - Canada doesn't vote!
- Election '08 Seat Projections in Vancouver/Lower M...
- Election '08 Final Nanos Projection
- Have you seen the sniggering that changed the elec...
- Elizabeth May's third strategic voting do-over in ...
- Steve and Kory - The tale of the tapes continues.....
- SPP : "We're getting better all the time."
- Canada to rescue U.S. banks?
- Elizabeth May and strategic voting...again
- Bobblehead Steve
- Plan B? What the hell happened to Plan A?
- SPP and Election '08 : From Star Wars to listerios...
- Police TASER™ a runaway sheep
- Toxic toys, now with 700 times more lead
- Strategic voting - all politics is local
- Ken Dryden, what the fuck were you thinking?
- Project Censored 2009
- Election 2008 - the English debate
- Afghanistan and Taliban Steve
- And now, a couple of words from The Economist
- Attack of the Clones - introducing Stephen Harper
- ▼ October (39)
- ► 2007 (317)
- ► 2006 (286)
- Canadian Progressive Voices
- 404 System Error
- A Creative Revolution
- Accidental Deliberations
- Another Voice
- April Reign
- Back of the Book
- Big City Lib
- Birth Pangs
- Blogging Change
- Bowen Island Journal
- Bread and Roses
- Canadian Cynic
- Challenging the Commonplace
- Council of Canadians
- Cracked Crystal Ball
- Crawl Across the Ocean
- CREEKSIDE - THE SPP POSTS
- DAMMIT JANET!
- Dawg's Blawg
- De Koboldorum Rebus
- Dymaxion World
- hairy fish nuts
- Harper Valley
- Just Another Willy Loman
- Laila Yuile
- Leftist Jab
- Let Freedom Rain
- Liberal Catnip
- Mirabile Dictu
- Montreal Simon
- Moved to Vancouver
- Murray Dobbin
- Northern Insights
- Of Gods & Other Monsters
- Open Parliament
- Orwell's Bastard
- Paying Attention
- Politics 'n Poetry
- Public Eye Online
- Pushed to the Left and Loving It
- Q at North of Center
- Red Tory
- Resettle THIS!
- Rose's Place
- Runesmith's Canadian Content
- Rusty Idols
- Steve & Sandra Toons
- Terrible Depths
- The Black Ewe
- The Dominion
- The Galloping Beaver
- The Gazetteer
- The Regina Mom
- The Sixth Estate
- The Tyee
- The Woodshed
- They Call Me "Mr. Sinister"
- Thinking Aboot
- Thwap's Schoolyard
- Trapped in a Whirlpool
- Unrepentant Old Hippie
- Youngfox Canada