Friday, October 03, 2008
Project Censored 2009
From Project Censored, their top 25 stories the media failed to report or reported poorly :
#1. Over One Million Iraqi Deaths Caused by US Occupation
"Over one million Iraqis have met violent deaths as a result of the 2003 invasion, according to a study conducted by the prestigious British polling group, Opinion Research Business (ORB). These numbers suggest that the invasion and occupation of Iraq rivals the mass killings of the last century—the human toll exceeds the 800,000 to 900,000 believed killed in the Rwandan genocide in 1994, and is approaching the number (1.7 million) who died in Cambodia’s infamous “Killing Fields” during the Khmer Rouge era of the 1970s." continued ...
#2. Security and Prosperity Partnership : Militarized NAFTA
"Leaders of Canada, the US, and Mexico have been meeting to secretly expand the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) with “deep integration” of a more militarized tri-national Homeland Security force. Taking shape under the radar of the respective governments and without public knowledge or consideration, the Security and Prosperity Partnership (SPP)—headquartered in Washington—aims to integrate the three nations into a single political, economic, and security bloc." continued ...
#3 InfraGard : The FBI Deputizes Business
More than 23,000 representatives of private industry are working quietly with the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to collect and provide information on fellow Americans. In return, members of this rapidly growing group, called InfraGard, receive secret warnings of terrorist threats before the public, and at times before elected officials. “There is evidence that InfraGard may be closer to a corporate Total Information Awareness program (TIPS), turning private-sector corporations—some of which may be in a position to observe the activities of millions of individual customers—into surrogate eyes and ears for the FBI,” according to an ACLU report titled “The Surveillance-Industrial Complex: How the American Government Is Conscripting Businesses and Individuals in the Construction of a Surveillance Society.” continued...
#4 ILEA : Is the US Restarting Dirty Wars in Latin America?
"A resurgence of US-backed militarism threatens peace and democracy in Latin America. By 2005, US military aid to Latin America had increased by thirty-four times the amount spent in 2000. In a marked shift in US military strategy, secretive training of Latin American military and police personnel that used to just take place at the notorious School of the Americas, in Fort Benning, Georgia—including torture and execution techniques—is now decentralized. The 2008 US federal budget includes $16.5 million to fund an International Law Enforcement Academy (ILEA) in El Salvador, with satellite operations in Peru. With provision of immunity from charges of crimes against humanity, each academy will train an average of 1,500 police officers, judges, prosecutors, and other law enforcement officials throughout Latin America per year in “counterterrorism techniques.” continued...
#5 Seizing War Protesters' Assets
"President Bush has signed two executive orders that would allow the US Treasury Department to seize the property of any person perceived to, directly or indirectly, pose a threat to US operations in the Middle East. " continued...
And another 20 at Project Censored
"The twentieth century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: the growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy."
~ Alex Carey : "Taking the Risk Out of Democracy"
- ► 2014 (77)
- ► 2013 (138)
- ► 2012 (58)
- ► 2011 (142)
- ► 2010 (279)
- ► 2009 (343)
- From Jack-O-Lantern.com
- Justice for Robert Dziekanski Petition
- Cellucci suggests huge aqueducts to carry Canadian...
- Obama win a 'danger' to Canada, Cellucci says
- Push-polling deep integration for General Dynamics...
- Jesus Christ : The Lost Years
- "Stephen Harper's Big Thing"
- And now for something completely predictable...
- Chapter 11 agribiz agro
- Nah, that's too simple. It would never work.
- Iacobucci whitewash into Canadian torture-by-proxy...
- Dion resigns
- An unknown Group 'o Seven painting
- Pipeline saboteurs in the media... and biblical so...
- Shorter Sarkozy
- Green Party guy endorses Gordo ; Gordo endorses Ha...
- The friends of Gary Lunn
- Election "08 - Proportional representation chart
- Election '08 - Canada doesn't vote!
- Election '08 Seat Projections in Vancouver/Lower M...
- Election '08 Final Nanos Projection
- Have you seen the sniggering that changed the elec...
- Elizabeth May's third strategic voting do-over in ...
- Steve and Kory - The tale of the tapes continues.....
- SPP : "We're getting better all the time."
- Canada to rescue U.S. banks?
- Elizabeth May and strategic voting...again
- Bobblehead Steve
- Plan B? What the hell happened to Plan A?
- SPP and Election '08 : From Star Wars to listerios...
- Police TASER™ a runaway sheep
- Toxic toys, now with 700 times more lead
- Strategic voting - all politics is local
- Ken Dryden, what the fuck were you thinking?
- Project Censored 2009
- Election 2008 - the English debate
- Afghanistan and Taliban Steve
- And now, a couple of words from The Economist
- Attack of the Clones - introducing Stephen Harper
- ▼ October (39)
- ► 2007 (317)
- ► 2006 (286)
- Canadian Progressive Voices
- 404 System Error
- A Creative Revolution
- Accidental Deliberations
- Another Voice
- April Reign
- Back of the Book
- Big City Lib
- Birth Pangs
- Blogging Change
- Bowen Island Journal
- Bread and Roses
- Canadian Cynic
- Challenging the Commonplace
- Council of Canadians
- Cracked Crystal Ball
- Crawl Across the Ocean
- CREEKSIDE - THE SPP POSTS
- DAMMIT JANET!
- Dawg's Blawg
- De Koboldorum Rebus
- Dymaxion World
- hairy fish nuts
- Harper Valley
- Just Another Willy Loman
- Laila Yuile
- Leftist Jab
- Let Freedom Rain
- Liberal Catnip
- Mirabile Dictu
- Montreal Simon
- Moved to Vancouver
- Murray Dobbin
- Northern Insights
- Of Gods & Other Monsters
- Open Parliament
- Orwell's Bastard
- Paying Attention
- Politics 'n Poetry
- Public Eye Online
- Pushed to the Left and Loving It
- Q at North of Center
- Red Tory
- Resettle THIS!
- Rose's Place
- Runesmith's Canadian Content
- Rusty Idols
- Steve & Sandra Toons
- Terrible Depths
- The Black Ewe
- The Dominion
- The Galloping Beaver
- The Gazetteer
- The Regina Mom
- The Sixth Estate
- The Tyee
- The Woodshed
- They Call Me "Mr. Sinister"
- Thinking Aboot
- Thwap's Schoolyard
- Trapped in a Whirlpool
- Unrepentant Old Hippie
- Youngfox Canada