Dow Chemical - excuse me, Dow Agrosciences - doesn't much care for Ontario and Quebec's ban on cosmetic use of their weed-killer 2,4-D on lawns and they'd like $2-million compensation, plus legal costs and yet-to-be specified damages under NAFTA's Chapter 11, to help them feel better about it.
Dow filed their lawsuit against Canada in August but it only just appeared on the Dept of Foreign Affairs website yesterday. Do you think maybe someone in the PMO didn't want a contentious NAFTA sovereignty issue muddying up their nice election?
The company points to a "2007 risk assessment by Canada's own Pest Management Regulatory Agency which said the product could continue to be used safely on lawns".
Oh gosh, Dow, don't bring that up.
When it was explained to us back in 2006 that the SPP meant Canada would have to "harmonize" its pesticide regulations with those in the U.S so as not to prove "a trade irritant" to U.S. corps, there was a huge fuss up here about it.
Kathleen Cooper, researcher with the Canadian Environmental Law Association, is "troubled that chemical producers can invoke NAFTA in an effort to "undermine the decisions of democratically-elected governments."
But that's the whole point of it, my dear. Chapter 11 allows U.S. investors to legally ensure we don't pass laws for public health or the environment that might interfere with their profits.
Besides, $2-million is chump change compared to the $1oo-million lawsuit that U.S.-based Chemtura Corp. has already filed against us for banning their carcinogenic neurotoxin pesticide, lindane.
Which is a bit mean of them, really, as lindane is due to be phased out in the U.S. soon anyway.
- ► 2014 (77)
- ► 2013 (138)
- ► 2012 (58)
- ► 2011 (142)
- ► 2010 (279)
- ► 2009 (343)
- From Jack-O-Lantern.com
- Justice for Robert Dziekanski Petition
- Cellucci suggests huge aqueducts to carry Canadian...
- Obama win a 'danger' to Canada, Cellucci says
- Push-polling deep integration for General Dynamics...
- Jesus Christ : The Lost Years
- "Stephen Harper's Big Thing"
- And now for something completely predictable...
- Chapter 11 agribiz agro
- Nah, that's too simple. It would never work.
- Iacobucci whitewash into Canadian torture-by-proxy...
- Dion resigns
- An unknown Group 'o Seven painting
- Pipeline saboteurs in the media... and biblical so...
- Shorter Sarkozy
- Green Party guy endorses Gordo ; Gordo endorses Ha...
- The friends of Gary Lunn
- Election "08 - Proportional representation chart
- Election '08 - Canada doesn't vote!
- Election '08 Seat Projections in Vancouver/Lower M...
- Election '08 Final Nanos Projection
- Have you seen the sniggering that changed the elec...
- Elizabeth May's third strategic voting do-over in ...
- Steve and Kory - The tale of the tapes continues.....
- SPP : "We're getting better all the time."
- Canada to rescue U.S. banks?
- Elizabeth May and strategic voting...again
- Bobblehead Steve
- Plan B? What the hell happened to Plan A?
- SPP and Election '08 : From Star Wars to listerios...
- Police TASER™ a runaway sheep
- Toxic toys, now with 700 times more lead
- Strategic voting - all politics is local
- Ken Dryden, what the fuck were you thinking?
- Project Censored 2009
- Election 2008 - the English debate
- Afghanistan and Taliban Steve
- And now, a couple of words from The Economist
- Attack of the Clones - introducing Stephen Harper
- ▼ October (39)
- ► 2007 (317)
- ► 2006 (286)
- Canadian Progressive Voices
- 404 System Error
- A Creative Revolution
- Accidental Deliberations
- Another Voice
- April Reign
- Back of the Book
- Big City Lib
- Birth Pangs
- Blogging Change
- Bowen Island Journal
- Bread and Roses
- Canadian Cynic
- Challenging the Commonplace
- Council of Canadians
- Cracked Crystal Ball
- Crawl Across the Ocean
- CREEKSIDE - THE SPP POSTS
- DAMMIT JANET!
- Dawg's Blawg
- De Koboldorum Rebus
- Dymaxion World
- hairy fish nuts
- Harper Valley
- Just Another Willy Loman
- Laila Yuile
- Leftist Jab
- Let Freedom Rain
- Liberal Catnip
- Mirabile Dictu
- Montreal Simon
- Moved to Vancouver
- Murray Dobbin
- Northern Insights
- Of Gods & Other Monsters
- Open Parliament
- Orwell's Bastard
- Paying Attention
- Politics 'n Poetry
- Public Eye Online
- Pushed to the Left and Loving It
- Q at North of Center
- Red Tory
- Resettle THIS!
- Rose's Place
- Runesmith's Canadian Content
- Rusty Idols
- Steve & Sandra Toons
- Terrible Depths
- The Black Ewe
- The Dominion
- The Galloping Beaver
- The Gazetteer
- The Regina Mom
- The Sixth Estate
- The Tyee
- The Woodshed
- They Call Me "Mr. Sinister"
- Thinking Aboot
- Thwap's Schoolyard
- Trapped in a Whirlpool
- Unrepentant Old Hippie
- Youngfox Canada